Sunday, August 13, 2017

The editing process

So you go out shooting with your favourite camera, and come home with 500 images, now what? How do you decide what you will keep, and what will you throw away.

I almost never clear an image from the memory card, even if I know it's not going to be kept, for a couple of reasons,  when you started with 24 and 36 exposure film rolls, then 100 images "per roll" on a memory card is a lot.  After they are on the computer, I reformat the card.

The first edit I do, is a technical edit, if the image is poor, out of focus or wrong focus, the lighting or composition didn't work, then I toss the image.   I don't usually have time to play around with poor images, when I have dozens or hundreds of images to deal with.  The remainder get catalogued, and honestly, may of them will never see the light of day.   Others can sit in the archive for years, and then get pulled out for processing.   Then of course, we all have our favourites, this is one of mine.  I think before I stopped the blog before, I had this one posted.

A3600019
This weeks image is actually an old favourite of mine, it was taken on the first shoot with the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) a camera that is now heading into semi-retirement.  My brother-in-law and I, were out driving around, and we saw this place, no signs for no-trespassing were about, and we took a few shots.  It is interesting how, a building sometimes will start to come apart.  This actually was a common design in the late 1800's.  It's called a storey and a half, a later modification was the storey and three-quarters where the side walls would be extended up further to give more head height.

As with most images, this was shot in colour, then processed to black and white through my normal mechanism.

I'll admit that this week is a little short, but I ended up writing this on Saturday afternoon, with a sore back that seems ready to give out.  I'll try for something more interesting next week

W

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This post could not be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about
this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a
good read. Many thanks for sharing!