Sunday, October 01, 2017

Some newer stuff

Sort of a continuation of last week, we have a series of images, one or two from each year from 2011 to 2017.  Each of these images has some meaning, as I try to remember what I was working on, when I took the image.  Some of these will have pretty exact descriptions.  There will be a slightly different format this time, I made the pictures a little larger.

A4100443
A4200162

This first one was taken off a small road that is near Wiarton, ON.  It can be best described by what it actually is, an honest to goodness swamp.  The water level is about 3cm below the road, the ground is about 10cm below the road.  In the spring, the road floods and the town puts out signs that the road will be underwater.  It's a gravel road, called Zion Church Road.  The flooding actually doesn't hurt it.  When it dries out, the stone dust and gravel hardens so that it's harder then concrete.  Never knew when I lived there that this is actually called the Gleason Brook Management Area. 




This next one  was taken on Flowerpot Island, although known mostly for it's rock formations that look like giant flower pots, there is a lighthouse and I found this guy near the lighthouse where there is a small cafe that had some lilac bushes near it.  This guy was just chilling on a leaf.  I did for the record take some pictures of the flower pots.  This is part of the Fathom Five National Park, which is just off The Bruce Peninsula from Tobermory,  There are a number of boats that ferry people to Flowerpot, leaving from Tobermory, some of them are cruise type boats that cover portons of Fathom Five.


D4300158


At one point in things I decided I didn't want to carry the big 300D everywhere and picked up a cheap little point and shoot, a Canon A810. I find that as a camera it is dreadfully slow.  Images were not that bad, providing it was fairly bright daylight.  Many of these little cameras have that problem, a very limited range of lens stops, mean that if light is a little lower, you end up with longer then you would like exposures.  IIRC This was taken at Lion's Head a small village north of Wiarton, that is part of the town of Northern Bruce Peninsula, which like South Bruce Peninsula was a town that was a merger of a number of smaller places.  Hard to tell but the temperature on this day was -10C, and yes that IS open water.
A4400206


After we moved back to Toronto, in the spring is the cherry blossom festival, one of the trails actually leads to a swan nesting area, there are a number of ducks and other waterfowl that nest there.  I believe that in 2014, the cherry blossoms were a little late, but the Swans and other birds were pretty much on regular schedule.  This is a mute swan, and they are not native to North America, but rather from Europe.  They have had large increases in population, and in North America are consider an invasive species.  They still take a nice image though.
C4400105





This next one is actually a film image taken with the FC-1.  I know it was the FC-1 because the TC was fully retired by this point.  Film would be Fuji Superia looks like 200, as I had a bunch of rolls in the freezer and it's a colour image.  I don't remember much about it, I think I had a few things on this roll, and I think I was just using it up at this point.  Currently if I decide to shoot some film, I need to find some, and a lab to process it, and that would be a big hassle.  I actually planned to sell the camera a couple of years ago, but it's resale value is just about zero, so I held onto it.  This is really quite sad, the camera is nearly 40 years old, and still works amazingly well, just it's not worth anything anymore.  I think on this one I used an old numbering system, because I forgot I had changed it.
A4500568

While cameras generally don't like getting wet, cloudy days give a more even light, and sometimes a natural watering adds a whole new dimension to an image.  I think it does here, especially since the leaves actually appear dry.  This is a little false though, because there is a massive cedar hedge that shelters these leaves somewhat, so they probably are dry, but the flower was further out, and got wet.   This one was easy to find, it was actually in my backyard.  Backyard flowers in large flowerpots can make great images, because you can turn the flowerpot in order to get a better image if you can't put the camera in the right place.

A4600177
I debated for a while about actually publishing this one in colour, as the light part of the wings is a bright blue, but the blue would draw the eye away from everything else.  You might not notice the dots on the wings or the veins in the wings, if all you see is bright blotch of blue.  It's an image I might just try and do in colour at another point, and see what people think. 

I intentionally didn't include this years as the year is continuing on.  This is about all for this week, and we may just revisit this butterfly to see if it really is better in monochrome or colour. 

W

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site.
It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for
me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?

Exceptional work!

The Wogster said...

IT's actually one of the standard layouts on Blogger, which has a similar look to some of the WordPress layouts. What I suggest for picking a platform, is to configure a TEST version on each, without public access, and see which one you like working with the best. When I originally started here there were only a couple of options, and I got used to Blogger. Will it always be on Blogger, that I don't know.
I would like to move to a separate domain name at some point, and then might switch platforms, because I can then just switch the pointers.

W